Sunday, December 26, 2010

Denzel Did All The Action For "If You're Happy"

Christmas certainly bring a lot of magical moment to my life and especially to the kids I'm working with. 3 days ago, I was having session with this very cute kid name Denzel. He is not verbal but he is very good at gestures. He points a lot to tell us what he wants. He also clap his hands and wave good bye.

About 2 weeks ago, we started to introduce the song "If You're Happy" to him. At first he was kind of blur because he doesn't know what we are doing. Most of the time, we help him to do all the actions. Every time we sing the song to him, we will do only one action. We will either do clap hand, pat head, stomp feet or shout hooray.

3 days ago, I notice he was in a good mood and very attentive that morning. So i sang the song to him...

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands (He clapped)
If you're happy and you know it clap your hands (He clapped again)
If you're happy and you know it then you really have to show it if you're happy and you know it clap your hands (He clapped with a big smile)

I continue...

If you're happy and you know it pat your head (He patted his head!)
If you're happy and you know it pat your head (He patted his head again!)
If you're happy and you know it then you really have to show it if you're happy and you know it pat your head (He patted his head and giggled!)

I was too happy to stop singing...so i went on...

If you're happy and you know it stomp your feet (He stomped his feet while sitting down on the floor)
If you're happy and you know it stomp your feet (He stomped again!)
If you're happy and you know it then you really have to show it if you're happy and you know it stomp your feet (He stood up and stomp his feet!)

I went on with the ultimate action of shouting hooray!

If you're happy and you know it shout hooray! (I waited a while and he raised both his hands but he din say hooray though)
If you're happy and you know it shout hooray! (He raised his hands again but this time he was standing up facing me)
If you're happy and you know it then you really have to show it, if you're happy and you know it shout hooray! (He raised his arms, I can see his mouth in a "O" shape and I heard a "Hoooo")

I was so happy. I'm so proud of him! I gave him a big hug! Even though he didn't manage to say Hooray! but I can see him trying to say it. The effort he put in to say Hooray! is priceless! I'm sure someday he is going to rock the world! He started it by rocking my world first! It totally made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment